Trust Tax Fundamentals
This course is designed for people who have responsibility for preparing and reviewing tax returns for simple, complex, grantor and charitable trusts.
Class time provides both comprehensive coverage of the relevant laws and regulations as well as practical hands-on learning including case studies, quizzes, and examples to apply the knowledge gained during the class. This one-week course is divided into two parts, Fiduciary Tax Fundamentals (3-days) and Charitable Trust Tax Fundamentals (2-days).
Fiduciary Tax Fundamentals (3 days)
- Understanding Trust Documents
- Introduction to Trust Taxation
- Grantor Trust rules, including intentionally defective grantor trusts
- Planning with grantor trusts
- Understanding and determining Trust Accounting Income (TAI)
- Understanding and determining Distributable Net Income (DNI)
- In-depth discussion of how and when capital gains are allocated to beneficiaries
- Complex Trust Issues/Elections
- Estate/Death Administration Trusts
- Income and deductions in respect of a decedent (IRD/DRD)
- Comprehensive Case Study
Charitable Trust Tax Fundamentals (2 days)
- Charitable giving overview
- Exempt Organizations
- Supporting Organizations
- Private Operating Foundations
- Computing the private foundation Net Investment Income Tax
- Excise (Penalty) Taxes
- Unrelated Business Income
- Filing requirements
- Private Foundation Case Study
- Split-Interest Trusts
- Charitable Remainder Trusts (CRT)
- Charitable Lead Trusts (CLT)
- Pooled Income Funds
- Charitable Remainder Unitrust Case Study
Many professionals satisfy Continuing Education and/or Continuing Legal Education requirements with this course. Rules for CE and CLE approval are time sensitive and vary by designation and state. Cannon encourages early registration in order to allow for ample processing (request for credits may not be available after course completion).
Our books, audio lessons, videos, and eLearning could be the perfect fit for your enterprise professional development plans. Contact our learning professionals today to discuss how we can add Cannon assets into your learning initiative based on your audience size, timing, and budgetary needs.